Fifteen autosomal short tandem repeat (STR) markers (D3S1358, HUMTH01, D21S11, D18S51, Penta E, D5S818, D13S317, D7S820, D16S539, CSF1PO, Penta D, HUMvWA, D8S1179, HUMTPOX and FGA) were analyzed in more than 400 unrelated individuals from nine different areas of Italy. After Bonferroni correction, no evidence of population structure was identified, either by considering each population as independent or by combining populations according to their geographic origin (North, Central and South of Italy). Forensic indexes were estimated considering all samples together. Combined power of discrimination (PD) and combined power of exclusion (PE) for the 15 tested STR loci were 0.9999999997 and 0.964708775, respectively. Low genetic distances were found between our data and those previously published for other neighboring European populations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cells.Nucleic Acids Res. 1988; 16: 1215
- Validation of a 16-locus fluorescent multiplex system.J. For. Sci. 2002; 47: 773-785
- Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis.Evol. Bioinform. (Online). 2005; 1: 47-50
P. Sánchez-Diz, P. G. Menounos, A. Carracedo, I. Skitsa, 16 STR data of a Greek population, Forensic Sci Int: Genetics doi:10.1016/j.fsigen.2008.01.002http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2008.01.002.
- Validation of a large Italian Database of 15 STR loci.For. Sci. Int. 2006; 156: 266-268
- Population genetics of the 15 AmpF lSTR Identifiler loci in Kosovo Albanians.Int. J. Legal Med. 2004; 118: 115-118
- Allele frequencies of sixteen STRs in the population of Northern Portugal.For. Sci. Int. 2005; 148: 221-223
- Allele frequencies for 15 short tandem repeat loci in a representative sample of Bosnians and Herzegovinians.For. Sci. Int. 2006; 156: 79-81
- Allele frequencies for 15 short tandem repeat loci in representative sample of Croatian population.Croat. Med. J. 2007; 48: 4730-4737
- Allelic frequencies of the 15 STR loci included in the AmpFlSTR Identifiler PCR Amplification Kit in an autochthonous sample from Spain.For. Sci. Int. 2007; 173 (Epub 2007 Mar 8): 241-245
- Allele sharing in first-degree and unrelated pairs of individuals in the GeFI AmpFlSTR® Profiler Plus™ database.For. Sci. Int. 2003; 131: 85-89
- Italian population data on thirteen short tandem repeat loci: HUMTH01, D21S11, D18S51, HUMVWFA31, HUMFIBRA, D8S1179, HUMTPOX, HUMCSF1PO, D16S539, D7S820, D13S317, D5S818, D3S1358.For. Sci. Int. 1998; 97: 53-60
- Regional Italian Allele frequencies at nine short tandem repeat loci.For. Sci. Int. 2001; 115: 95-98
- A repository of 14 PCR-loci Italian gene frequencies in the World Wide Web.For. Sci. Int. 2001; 115: 99-101
- Publication of population data of human polymorphisms.For. Sci. Int. 2000; 110: 3-5
Published online: June 24, 2008
Accepted: May 7, 2008
Received in revised form: May 6, 2008
Received: February 12, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.