Haplotype frequencies for 6 Y-STRs (DYS522, DYS533, DYS549, DYS570, DYS576 and DYS643) were determined in 539 unrelated Korean males. A total of 375 haplotypes were observed with the overall haplotype diversity of 0.9967. In DYS570, we found new point-3 microvariant allele series, i.e., 18.3, 19.3 and 20.3. DNA sequence analysis showed that the full repeat sequences were [TTTC]nttc[TTTC]5. Duplicated DYS643 allele was found and discussed on its forensic impact on the Y-STR interpretation of male–male mixtures. In 140 confirmed father/son pairs, one mutation was found in DYS576 with the overall mutation rate of 1.10 × 10−3/locus/generation (95% CI 0.31–1.89 × 10−3).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Variation of 52 new Y-STR loci in the Y Chromosome Consortium worldwide panel of 76 diverse individuals.Int. J. Legal Med. 2007; 121: 124-127
- DNA commission of the International Society of Forensic Genetics (ISFG): an update of the recommendations on the use of Y-STRs in forensic analysis.For. Sci. Int. 2006; 157: 187-197
- Molecular Evolutionary Genetics.Columbia University Press, New York1987 (pp. 176–179)
- Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis.Evol. Bioinform. Online. 2005; 1: 47-50
- Evaluation of haplotype discrimination capacity of 35 Y-chromosomal short tandem repeat loci.For. Sci. Int. 2008; 174: 182-188
- MiniY-STR quadruplex systems with short amplicon lengths for analysis of degraded DNA samples.For. Sci. Int.: Genet. 2007; 1: 56-61
- Allele frequencies for 27 Y-STR loci with U.S. Caucasian, African American, and Hispanic samples.For. Sci. Int. 2006; 156: 250-260
- Chromosomal duplications along the Y-chromosome and their potential impact on Y-STR interpretation.J. For. Sci. 2005; 50: 853-859
- Twelve short tandem repeat loci Y chromosome haplotypes: genetic analysis on populations residing in North America.For. Sci. Int. 2005; 150: 1-15
- Characteristics and frequency of germline mutations at microsatellite loci from the human Y chromosome, as revealed by direct observation in father/son pairs.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2000; 66: 1580-1588
- Publication of population data of human polymorphisms.For. Sci. Int. 2000; 110: 3-5
Published online: August 04, 2008
Accepted: June 13, 2008
Received in revised form: May 10, 2008
Received: November 21, 2007
© 2008 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.