Karamoja is a region located in the northeast edge of Uganda where it borders Kenya and Sudan. The majority of inhabitants of this region belong to Karimojong ethnic groups. In this work, we present allele frequencies for 15 STRs included in the AmpF/STR Identifiler kit (CSF1PO, D2S1338, D3S1358, D5S818, D7S820, D8S1179, D13S317, D16S539, D18S51, D19S433, D21S11, FGA, TH01, TPO and VWA) in 218 unrelated individuals from Karamoja region. Observed genotype distributions for each locus do not show deviations from Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium expectations. When comparing allele frequencies, for each locus, with other five African samples (Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique, Cabinda (Angola), Rwanda and Tanzania) the only population that did not show significant differences with Karamoja (Uganda) was Rwanda.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Investigation of the STR locus HUMTH01 using PCR and two electrophoresis formats: UK and Galician Caucasian population surveys and usefulness in paternity investigations.Forensic Sci Int. 1994; 66: 41-52
- Arlequin ver 30: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis.Evol Bioinform Online. 2005; 1: 47-50
- Multiple tests.Genetic Data Analysis II. Sinauer Associates, USA1996 (p. 134)
PowerStats version 12. Promega corporation website: http://www.promega.com/geneticidtools/powerstats/.
- STR allelic frequencies for an African population sample (Equatorial Guinea) using AmpF/STR Identifiler and Powerplex 16 Systems.Forensic Sci Int. 2005; 148: 239-242
- Contribution for an African STR database (AmpF/STR Identifiler and Powerplex 16 System) and a report on genotypic variations.Forensic Sci Int. 2004; 139: 201-205
- 17 STR data (AmpF/STR Identifiler and Powerplex 16 System) from Cabinda (Angola).Forensic Sci Int. 2004; 141: 193-196
- Variation at 16 STR loci in Rwandans (Hutu) and implications on profile frequency estimation in Bantu-speakers.Int J Legal Med. 2003; 117: 121-126
- AmpF/STR Identifiler STR allele frequencies in Tanzania.Afr J Forensic Sci. 2008; 53
- Population genetic diversity in relation to microsatellite heterogeneity.Hum Mutat. 1998; 11: 135-144
- Publication of population data of human polymorphisms.Forensic Sci Int. 2000; 110: 3-5
Published online: July 28, 2008
Accepted: June 13, 2008
Received: April 30, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.