We report autosomal STR data (Identifiler™ PCR amplification kit) of a total sample of 884 unrelated Mestizos from three different regions of Mexico. The population sample included 309, 313 and 262 individuals from the states of Jalisco (West), Puebla (Center) and Yucatan (Southeast), respectively. Allele distribution and forensic statistical parameters are described. Genotype distribution by locus and two-loci combination was in agreement with Hardy–Weinberg expectations for all 15 STRs. Pairwise comparisons including Mexican populations reported in the literature demonstrated a significant differentiation, principally between North/West with regard to Center/Southeast Mexico. These results increase STR data from previously unreported regions of this country, and constitute a valuable guide in forensic casework for choosing an auxiliary STR database in states where it is not available.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Genetic admixture, relatedness, and structure patterns among Mexican populations revealed by the Y-chromosome.Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 2008; 135: 448-461
- Tools for Analysis of Population Statistics, Profiles in DNA.Promega Corp., 2001
- Arlequin version 3.0, an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis.Evolutionary Bioinformatics. 2005; 1 (Online): 47-50
M.P. Miller, Tools for population genetic analyses (TFPGA) 1.3: A Windows program for the analyses of allozyme and molecular population genetic data (1997). Computer software distributed by author. Available from: http://www.marksgeneticsoftware.net/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/tfpga.htm.
- Mexican population data of fifteen STR Loci Identifiler® kit in a Chihuahua (North Central Mexico) Sample.J. Forensic Sci. 2005; 50: 236-238
- Maximum likelihood estimates of admixture in Northeastern Mexico using 13 short tandem repeat loci.Am. J. Hum. Biol. 2002; 14: 429-439
- Population data 15 loci (Identifiler® Kit) in a sample from the valley of Mexico.Leg. Med. 2005; 7: 331-333
- Genetic diversity of STRs in Choles from Northeast of Chiapas (Mexico).J. Forensic Sci. 2007; 50: 1499-1501
- Population data of nine STRs of Mexican-Mestizos from Veracruz (Central South-Eastern, Mexico).Leg. Med. 2006; 8: 251-252
- Allele frequencies of the 15 AmpF/STR Identifiler loci in the population of Meztitlán (Estado de Hidalgo), Mexico.Forensic Sci. Int. 2007; 166: 230-232
- Haplotype frequencies of the PowerPlex® Y system in a Mexican-Mestizo population sample from Mexico City.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2008; 2: e11-e13
- Publication of population data of human polymorphisms.Forensic Sci. Int. 2000; 110: 3-5
Published online: September 22, 2008
Accepted: July 22, 2008
Received in revised form: May 17, 2008
Received: June 13, 2007
© 2008 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.