X-chromosomal short tandem repeats (X-STR) have proven to be informative and useful in complex relationship testing. The main feature of X-STR markers, compared to autosomal forensic markers, is that all loci are located on the same chromosome. Thus, linkage and linkage disequilibrium may occur. The aim of this work was to study population genetic parameters of eight X-STR markers, located in four linkage groups. We present haplotype frequencies, based on 718 Swedish males, for the four linkage groups included in the Argus X-8 kit. Forensic efficiency parameters have been calculated as well as the allelic association between the tested markers for detection of linkage disequilibrium. To study the occurrences of recombination between the loci, both Swedish and Somali families were typed. A mathematical model for the estimation of recombination frequencies is presented and applied on the family samples. Our study showed that the tested markers all have highly informative forensic values and that there is a significant degree of linkage disequilibrium between the STR markers within the four linkage groups. Furthermore, based on the tested families, we also demonstrated that two of the linkage groups are partially linked. A consequence of these findings is that both linkage and linkage disequilibrium should be accounted for when producing likelihood ratios in relationship testing with X-STR markers.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Haplotyping of STR cluster DXS6801-DXS6809-DXS6789 on Xq21 provides a powerful tool for kinship testing.Int. J. Legal Med. 2005; 119: 363-369
- Use of X-linked markers for forensic purposes.Int. J. Legal Med. 2003; 117: 67-74
- X-chromosomal markers: past, present and future.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2007; 1: 93-99
- Analysis of Human Genetic Linkage.3rd. ed. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore1999
- A new pentaplex system to study short tandem repeat markers of forensic interest on X chromosome.Forensic Sci. Int. 2002; 129: 85-89
- Sequence structure and population data of two X-linked markers: DXS7423 and DXS8377.Int. J. Legal Med. 2002; 116: 368-371
- MiniX-STR multiplex system population study in Japan and application to degraded DNA analysis.Int. J. Legal Med. 2006; 120: 174-181
- Genetic characteristics and population study of 4 X-chromosomal STRs in Koreans: evidence for a null allele at DXS9898.Int. J. Legal Med. 2004; 118: 355-360
- Utility of X-chromosome SNPs in relationship testing.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. Supplement Series. 2008; 1: 528-530
- An X-STR meiosis study in Kurds and Germans: allele frequencies and mutation rates.Int. J. Legal Med. 2008; 122: 353-356
- Kinship testing with X-chromosomal markers: mathematical and statistical issues.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2007; 1: 111-114
- Y-chromosome diversity in Sweden—a long-time perspective.Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 2006; 14: 963-970
- Population genetic evaluation of eight X-chromosomal short tandem repeat loci using Mentype Argus X-8 PCR amplification kit.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2008; 2: 69-74
- On the utilization of erythrocyte acid phosphatase polymorphism in paternity evaluation.Dtsch. Z. Gesamte Gerichtl. Med. 1968; 64: 127-146
- Development of a highly polymorphic STR marker for identity testing purposes at the human androgen receptor gene (HUMARA).J. Forensic Sci. 1998; 43: 1046-1049
P.O. Lewis, D. Zaykin, Genetic Data Analysis: Computer Program for the Analysis of Allelic Data, 2001, 1.1.
- Hungarian population data of eight X-linked markers in four linkage groups.Forensic Sci. Int. 2008; 175: 73-78
Excoffier, L.G. Laval, S. Schneider, Arlequin ver 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis, Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1, 2005, pp. 47–50.
- Truncated product method for combining P-values.Genet. Epidemiol. 2002; 22: 170-185
- STR data for the AmpFℓSTR Identifiler loci from Swedish population in comparison to European, as well as with non-European population.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2008; 2: e49-e52
Published online: October 27, 2008
Accepted: September 16, 2008
Received in revised form: August 21, 2008
Received: April 30, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.