A total of 272 males from Greenland were typed for 11 Y-chromosome STRs DYS19, DYS385a/b, DYS389-I, DYS389-II, DYS390, DYS391, DYS392, DYS393, DYS437, DYS438 and DYS439 with the PowerPlex® Y System (Promega). A total of 146 different haplotypes were observed and the haplotype diversity was 0.9887. The number of haplotypes seen once was 108 and the most common haplotype was observed in 12 males. A significant FST value was observed (FST = 0.012, P < 0.00001) when comparing the population of 15 locations in Greenland assigned to 7 groups. The significance could mainly be attributed to the subpopulation of males from Tasiilaq (East of Greenland). The RST value was not statistically significant (RST = 0.016, P = 0.15).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Chelex 100 as a medium for simple extraction of DNA for PCR-based typing from forensic material.BioTechniques. 1991; 10: 506-513
- DNA Commission of the International Society of Forensic Genetics (ISFG): An update of the recommendations on the use of Y-STRs in forensic analysis.Forensic Sci. Int. 2006; 157: 187-197
- Molecular Evolutionary Genetics.Columbia University Press, New York, NY, USA1987 (pp. 178–179)
- Arlequin ver 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis.Evol. Bioinform. Online (EBO). 2005; 1: 47-50
- An extensive analysis of Y-chromosomal microsatellite haplotypes in globally dispersed human populations.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2001; 68: 990-1018
- High level of male-biased Scandinavian admixture in Greenlandic Inuit shown by Y-chromosomal analysis.Hum. Genet. 2003; 112: 353-363
- Y-chromosomal STR haplotypes in Inuit and Danish population samples.Forensic Sci. Int. 2003; 132: 228-232
- Y-chromosome STR haplotypes in Danes.Forensic Sci. Int. 2005; 155: 205-210
- Publication of population data of human polymorphisms.Forensic Sci. Int. 2000; 110: 3-5
Published online: January 15, 2009
Accepted: November 29, 2008
Received in revised form: November 26, 2008
Received: February 19, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.