- •We present a midi amplicon protocol involving two PCR multiplexes and amplicon sizes of 300–500 bp for massively parallel sequencing (MPS) of entire mitochondrial (mt)genomes from hair shaft samples.
- •We evaluate alternative protocols using larger amplification products (2–3 kbp) as well as MPS from hair samples without prior amplification.
- •Our study demonstrates that massively mtGenome sequencing is feasible from hair samples, which would significantly increase the discrimination power in forensic mtDNA testing.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
- Validation and casework testing of the BioPlex-11 for STR typing of telogen hair roots.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2006; 161: 52-59
- Mitochondrial DNA sequence analysis–Validation and use for forensic casework.Forensic Sci. Rev. 1999; 11: 21-50
- EMPOP - A forensic mtDNA database.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2007; 1: 88-92
- Single nucleotide polymorphisms over the entire mtDNA genome that increase the power of forensic testing in Caucasians.Int. J. Legal Med. 2004; 118: 137-146
- The use of mitochondrial DNA single nucleotide polymorphisms to assist in the resolution of three challenging forensic cases.J. Forensic Sci. 2009; 54: 887-891
- The application of mtDNA SNPs to a forensic case.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. Suppl. Ser. 2008; 1: 295-297
- DNA identification of Earthquake McGoon 50 years postmortem.J. Forensic Sci. 2007; 52: 1115-1118
- High-quality and high-throughput massively parallel sequencing of the human mitochondrial genome using the Illumina MiSeq.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 12: 128-135
R. Just, S. Fast, M. Scheible, K. Sturk-Andreaggi, A. Röck, J. Bush, et al., Full mtGenome reference data: development and characterization of 588 forensic-quality haplotypes representing three U.S. populations, Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. (under review).
- mtGenome reference population databases and the future of forensic mtDNA analysis.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2011; 5: 222-225
- Forensic STR analysis using massive parallel sequencing.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: 810-818
- Short-read, high-throughput sequencing technology for STR genotyping.BioTechniques. 2012; : 1-6
- Evaluation of next generation mtGenome sequencing using the Ion Torrent Personal Genome Machine (PGM).Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2013; 7: 543-549
- Massively parallel pyrosequencing 454 methodology of the mitochondrial genome in forensic genetics.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 12: 30-37
- Development and assessment of an optimized next-generation DNA sequencing approach for the mtgenome using the Illumina MiSeq.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 13: 20-29
- Short tandem repeat typing on the 454 platform: Strategies and considerations for targeted sequencing of common forensic markers.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 12: 107-119
- Non-uniform phenotyping of D12S391 resolved by second generation sequencing.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 8: 195-199
- Characterization of mutations and sequence variants in the D21S11 locus by next generation sequencing.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 8: 68-72
- Finding the needle in the haystack: differentiating identical twins in paternity testing and forensics by ultra-deep next generation sequencing.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 9: 42-46
- Simultaneous detection of human mitochondrial DNA and nuclear-inserted mitochondrial-origin sequences (NumtS) using forensic mtDNA amplification strategies and pyrosequencing technology.J. Forensic Sci. 2014; 59: 1064-1073
- Targeted retrieval and analysis of five Neandertal mtDNA genomes.Science. 2009; 325: 318-321
- A complete mtDNA genome of an early modern human from Kostenki, Russia.Curr. Biol. 2010; 20: 231-236
- Application of next generation sequencing technologies to the identification of highly degraded unknown soldiers’ remains.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. Suppl. Ser. 2011; 3: e540-e541
- DNA capture and next-generation sequencing can recover whole mitochondrial genomes from highly degraded samples for human identification.Investig. Genet. 2013; 4 (26-2223-4-26)
QIAGEN® User-Developed Protocol. Purification of total DNA from nails, hair, or feathers using the DNeasy® Blood & Tissue Kit.
- Improved extraction efficiency of human mitochondrial DNA from hair shafts and its implications for sequencing of the entire mtGenome from a single hair fragment,.in: Proceedings of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences 65th Annual Meeting, Washington, DCFebruary 18–23 2012
- Quantification of human mitochondrial DNA using synthesized DNA standards.J. Forensic Sci. 2011; 56: 1457-1463
- A high-throughput Sanger strategy for human mitochondrial genome sequencing.BMC Genomics. 2013; 14 (881-2164-14-881)
- Reanalysis and revision of the Cambridge reference sequence for human mitochondrial DNA.Nat. Genet. 1999; 23: 147
- STR typing of human telogen hairs - a new approach.Int. J. Legal Med. 2001; 114: 269-273
- Comparison of morphological and molecular genetic sex-typing on mediaeval human skeletal remains.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2013; 7: 581-586
- Sequencing strategy for the whole mitochondrial genome resulting in high quality sequences.BMC Genomics. 2009; 10: 139
- Consistent treatment of length variants in the human mtDNA control region: a reappraisal.Int. J. Legal Med. 2008; 122: 11-21
- DNA Commission of the International Society for Forensic Genetics: revised and extended guidelines for mitochondrial DNA typing.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 13: 134-142
- Mini-midi-mito: Adapting the amplification and sequencing strategy of mtDNA to the degradation state of crime scene samples.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2009; 3: 149-153
Primer 3: bioinfo.ut.ee/primer3-0.4.0/.
Oligo Analyzer 3.1: eu.idtdna.com/analyzer/Applications/OligoAnalyzer/Default.aspx.
UCSC In-silico PCR: genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgPcr.
- AutoDimer: a screening tool for primer-dimer and hairpin structures.Biotechniques. 2004; 37: 226-231
- Fast and accurate short read alignment with Burrows–Wheeler transform.Bioinformatics. 2009; 25: 1754-1760
- A framework for variation discovery and genotyping using next-generation DNA sequencing data.Nat. Genet. 2011; 43: 491-498
- Integrative Genomics Viewer (IGV): high-performance genomics data visualization and exploration.Briefings Bioinform. 2013; 14: 178-192
- Development of forensic-quality full mtGenome haplotypes: Success rates with low template specimens.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 10: 73-79
- Sequence and organization of the human mitochondrial genome.Nature. 1981; 290: 457-465
- Ancient human genome sequence of an extinct Palaeo-Eskimo.Nature. 2010; 463: 757-762
- Whole-genome shotgun sequencing of mitochondria from ancient hair shafts.Science. 2007; 317: 1927-1930
- Sequencing the nuclear genome of the extinct woolly mammoth.Nature. 2008; 456: 387-390