- •We looked for tri-allelic subjects in 75,113 families.
- •The extra TPOX allele was the allele 10.
- •The tri-allelic pattern study has important consequences for forensic applications.
Genotyping of polymorphic short tandem repeats (STRs) loci is widely used in forensic DNA analysis. STR loci eventually present tri-allelic pattern as a genotyping irregularity and, in that situation, the doubt about the tri-allele locus frequency calculation can reduce the analysis strength. In the TPOX human STR locus, tri-allelic genotypes have been reported with a widely varied frequency among human populations. We investigate whether there is a single extra allele (the third allele) in the TPOX tri-allelic pattern, what it is, and where it is, aiming to understand its genomic anatomy and to propose the knowledge of this TPOX extra allele from genetic profile, thus preserving the two standard TPOX alleles in forensic analyses. We looked for TPOX tri-allelic subjects in 75,113 Brazilian families. Considering only the parental generation (mother + father) we had 150,226 unrelated subjects evaluated. From this total, we found 88 unrelated subjects with tri-allelic pattern in the TPOX locus (0.06%; 88/150,226). Seventy three of these 88 subjects (73/88; 83%) had the Clayton's original Type 2 tri-allelic pattern (three peaks of even intensity). The remaining 17% (15/88) show a new Type 2 derived category with heterozygote peak imbalance (one double dose peak plus one regular sized peak). In this paper we present detailed data from 66 trios (mother + father + child) with true biological relationships. In 39 of these families (39/66; 59%) the extra TPOX allele was transmitted either from the mother or from the father to the child. Evidences indicated the allele 10 as the extra TPOX allele, and it is on the X chromosome. The present data, which support the previous Lane hypothesis, improve the knowledge about tri-allelic pattern of TPOX CODIS’ locus allowing the use of TPOX profile in forensic analyses even when with tri-allelic pattern. This evaluation is now available for different forensic applications.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Short tandem repeat typing technologies used in human identity testing.Biotechniques. 2007; 43: 2-5
- Genetics and genomics of core STR loci used in human identity testing.J. Forensic Sci. 2006; 51: 253-265
- A genetic basis for anomalous band patterns encountered during DNA STR profiling.J. Forensic Sci. 2004; 49: 1207-1214
- Tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism at the human thyroid peroxidase (hTPO) locus.Hum. Mol. Genet. 1992; 1: 137
- Analysis and interpretation of short tandem repeat microvariants and three banded allele patterns using multiple allele detection systems.J. Forensic Sci. 1999; 44: 87-94
- Variant alleles, tri-allelic patterns, and point mutations observed in nuclear short tandem repeat typing of populations in Bosnia and Serbia.Croat. Med. J. 2007; 48: 494-502
- The nature of tri-allelic TPOX genotypes in African populations.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2008; 2: 134-137
- Brazilian population profile of 15 STR markers.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2008; 2: e1-e4
- Allele frequencies of 15 STRs in a representative sample of the Brazilian population.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2010; 4: e61-e63
- The presence of tri-allelic TPOX genotypes in Dominican population.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2009; Suppl. 2: 371-372
- Beyond traditional paternity and identification cases. Selecting the most probable pedigree.Forensic Sci. Int. 2000; 110: 47-59
- Updated Brazilian STR allele frequency data using over 100,000 individuals: an analysis of CSF1PO, D3S1358, D5S818, D7S820, D8S1179, D13S317, D16S539, D18S51, D21S11, FGA, Penta D, Penta E, TH01, TPOX and vWA loci.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: 504-509
- Allele frequencies for 15 autosomal STR loci on U.S. Caucasian, African American, and Hispanic populations.J. Forensic Sci. 2003; 48: 908-911
Published online: November 26, 2014
Accepted: November 19, 2014
Received in revised form: October 24, 2014
Received: September 24, 2013
© 2014 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.