- •286 West Africans from five ethnic groups were typed for 17 Y-STRs and 96 Y-SNPs.
- •Statistical analyses show close genetic distances between groups from Ivory Coast and Benin.
- •Significant genetic differentiation was observed between Yoruba groups from Benin and Nigeria.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
- Y-chromosomal variation in sub-Saharan Africa: insights into the history of Niger–Congo groups.Mol. Biol. Evol. 2011; 28: 1255-1269
- The genetic structure and history of Africans and African Americans.Science. 2009; 324: 1035-1044
- Evaluation of group genetic ancestry of populations from Philadelphia and Dakar in the context of sex-biased admixture in the Americas.PLoS One. 2009; 4: e7842
- MtDNA profile of West Africa Guineans: towards a better understanding of the Senegambia region.Ann. Hum. Genet. 2004; 68: 340-352
- Y-chromosomal diversity in the population of Guinea-Bissau: a multiethnic perspective.BMC Evol. Biol. 2007; 7: 124
- Paternal and maternal lineages in Guinea-Bissau population.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2011; 5: 114-116
- Ancestral stories of Ghanaian Bimoba reflect millennia-old genetic lineages.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e65690
- The influence of clan structure on the genetic variation in a single Ghanaian village.Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 2013; 21: 1134-1139
- Contrasting maternal and paternal histories in the linguistic context of Burkina Faso.Mol. Biol. Evol. 2012; 29: 1213-1223
- Little genetic differentiation as assessed by uniparental markers in the presence of substantial language variation in peoples of the Cross River region of Nigeria.BMC Evol. Biol. 2010; 10: 92
- Genome-wide patterns of population structure and admixture in West Africans and African Americans.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2010; 107: 786-791
- Genetic structure of pastoral and farmer populations in the African Sahel.Mol. Biol. Evol. 2011; 28: 2491-2500
- The influence of habitats on female mobility in Central and Western Africa inferred from human mitochondrial variation.BMC Evol. Biol. 2013; 13: 24
Paul L.M., Gary F., Simons G.F., Fennig C.D. Ethnologue Languages of the World, Seventeenth ed. Available from: http://www.ethnologue.com 2015.
- A Reconsideration of the Ife–Benin relationship.J. Afr. Hist. 1965; 6: 25-37
MaryAnne A., Douglas B., Lamine S. L'Utilisation du Français et de l'Adioukrou par les Aizi. SIL Electronic Survey Reports. Ivory Coast: The Journal of West African Languages, 2002.
- The imprint of the slave trade in an African American population: mitochondrial DNA, Y chromosome and HTLV-1 analysis in the Noir Marron of French Guiana.BMC Evol. Biol. 2010; 10: 314
- Forensic application of DNA ‘fingerprints'.Nature. 1985; 318: 577-579
- DNA Commission of the International Society of Forensic Genetics (ISFG): an update of the recommendations on the use of Y-STRs in forensic analysis.Forensic Sci. Int. 2006; 157: 187-197
- The new Y Chromosome haplotype reference database.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 15: 43-48
- Primer3—new capabilities and interfaces.Nucleic Acids Res. 2012; 40: e115
- High-throughput SNP genotyping by allele-specific PCR with universal energy-transfer-labeled primers.Genome Res. 2001; 11: 163-169
- A nomenclature system for the tree of human Y-chromosomal binary haplogroups.Genome Res. 2002; 12: 339-348
- Arlequin suite ver 3. 5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows.Mol. Ecol. Resour. 2010; 10: 564-567
- Evaluation of Y-chromosomal STRs: a multicenter study.Int. J. Legal Med. 1997; 110 (41-9): 125-133
- New binary polymorphisms reshape and increase resolution of the human Y chromosomal haplogroup tree.Genome Res. 2008; 18: 830-838
- A Measure of population subdivision based on microsatellite allele frequencies.Genetics. 1995; 139: 457-462
R Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Available from: http://www.R-project.org/ 2014.
- The ade4 package: implementing the duality diagram for ecologists.J. Stat. Software. 2007; 22: 1-20
- Modern Applied Statistics with S-PLUS.Fourth ed. Springer, New York2002
- Ggplot2: Elegant Graphics for Data Analysis.Springer, New York2009
- Out of Africa and back again: nested cladistic analysis of human Y chromosome variation.Mol. Biol. Evol. 1998; 15: 427-441
- Evidence from Y-chromosome analysis for a late exclusively eastern expansion of the Bantu-speaking people.Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 2013; 21: 423-429
- Sigs of the preagricultural peopling processes in sub-Saharan Africa as revealed by the phylogeography of early Y chromosome lineages.Mol. Biol. Evol. 2011; 28: 2603-2613
- chromosome haplogroup R-V88: a paternal genetic record of early mid Holocene trans-Saharan connections and the spread of Chadic languages.Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 2010; 18: 800-807
- Increased resolution of Y chromosome haplogroup T defines relationships among populations of the Near East, Europe, and Africa.Hum. Biol. 2011; 83: 39-53
- A study of Y-chromosome microsatellite variation in sub-Saharan Africa: a comparison between F(ST) and R(ST) genetic distances.Hum. Biol. 2003; 75: 313-330
- Variation of female and male lineages in sub-Saharan populations: the importance of sociocultural factors.Mol. Biol. Evol. 2004; 21: 1673-1682
- A multidimensional scaling stress evaluation table.Field Methods. 2000; 12: 49-60