- •We selected 15 CpGs as menstrual blood-specific marker candidates using HumanMethylation450 BeadChip array data.
- •cg09696411 and cg18069290 in the SLC26A10 gene demonstrated high menstrual blood-specificity.
- •A previously reported multiplex methylation SNaPshot was modified to detect 9 CpGs, which include cg09696411 and cg18069290.
- •The resultant multiplex allowed positive identification of blood, saliva, semen, vaginal fluid and menstrual blood.
- •Menstrual bloods produced methylation profiles that vary with menstrual cycle and sample collection methods.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
- Molecular approaches for forensic cell type identification: on mRNA, miRNA, DNA methylation and microbial markers.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 18: 21-32
- Analysis of body fluids for forensic purposes: from laboratory testing to non-destructive rapid confirmatory identification at a crime scene.Forensic Sci. Int. 2009; 188: 1-17
- Body fluid identification in forensics.BMB Rep. 2012; 45: 545-553
- Recovery and stability of RNA in vaginal swabs and blood, semen, and saliva stains.J. Forensic Sci. 2008; 53: 296-305
- New markers for old stains: stable mRNA markers for blood and saliva identification from up to 16-year-old stains.Int. J. Legal Med. 2009; 123: 71-74
- Identification of forensically relevant body fluids using a panel of differentially expressed microRNAs.Anal. Biochem. 2009; 387: 303-314
- The development of a mRNA multiplex RT-PCR assay for the definitive identification of body fluids.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2010; 4: 244-256
- mRNA heptaplex protocol for distinguishing between menstrual and peripheral blood.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 13: 53-60
- A multiplex (m)RNA-profiling system for the forensic identification of body fluids and contact traces.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: 565-577
- DNA methylation-based forensic tissue identification.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2011; 5: 517-524
- Potential forensic application of DNA methylation profiling to body fluid identification.Int. J. Legal Med. 2012; 126: 55-62
- The determination of tissue-specific DNA methylation patterns in forensic biofluids using bisulfite modification and pyrosequencing.Electrophoresis. 2012; 33: 1736-1745
- Identification of body fluid-specific DNA methylation markers for use in forensic science.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 13: 147-153
- Genome-wide methylation profiling and a multiplex construction for the identification of body fluids using epigenetic markers.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 17: 17-24
- Methylation markers for the identification of body fluids and tissues from forensic trace evidence.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0147973
- Menstruation: induction by matrix metalloproteinases and inflammatory cells.Reprod. Immunol. 1999; 44: 1-27
- BatchPrimer3: a high throughput web application for PCR and sequencing primer design.BMC Bioinf. 2008; 9: 253