- •A Bayesian network is described to help address questions regarding the cellular source of DNA from differential extractions.
- •Sperm and epithelial scoring from microscopy and DNA profiling results are considered within the Bayesian Network.
- •Sensitivity analysis shows that in many instances it is possible to provide strong levels of support to an individual having donating sperm (or not) to a trace.
- •Further experimental work is suggested that will assist in assigning probabilities to nodes within the network, or to refine the network structure.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
- Interpreting small quantities of DNA: the hierarchy of propositions and the use of Bayesian networks.J. Forensic Sci. 2002; 47: 520 5-30
- Bayesian networks and the value of the evidence for the forensic two-trace transfer problem.J. Forensic Sci. 2012; 57: 1199-1216
- The interpretation of traces found on adhesive tapes.Law Probab. Risk. 2015; 14: 305-322
- Evaluating forensic biology results given source level propositions.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 21: 54-67
- A probabilistic approach to body fluid typing interpretation: an exploratory study on forensic saliva testing.Law Probab. Risk. 2015; 14: 323-339
- The persistence of seminal constituents in the human vagina.Forensic Sci. 1974; 3: 45-55
- Forensic application of DNA ‘fingerprints’.Nature. 1985; 318: 577 57-9
- [email protected] 2012 Meeting, Gaithersburg2012 Exploring DNA Extraction Efficiency
- A graphical simulation model of the entire DNA process associated with the analysis of short tandem repeat loci.Nucleic Acids Res. 2005; 33: 632-643
- An assessment of the subjectivity of sperm scoring.Forensic Sci. Int. 2015; 251: 83-86
- World Health Organisation reference values for human semen characteristics.Hum. Reprod. Updates. 2010; 16: 231-245
- Developmental validation of the Quantifiler® HP and Trio Kits for human DNA quantification in forensic samples.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 21: 145-147
- A graphical model for the evaluation of cross-transfer evidence in DNA profiles.Theor. Popul. Biol. 2003; 63: 179-190
Vincent, F.H.R., 2010. Inquiry into the circumstances that led to the conviction of Mr Farah Abdulkadir Jama 2010.
- Error rates in forensic DNA analysis: definition, numbers, impact and communication.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 12: 77-85