- •The study includes the analysis of 31 Native American tribes.
- •21 autosomal Globalfiler® STRs were used in the study.
- •Allele frequency and heterozygosity estimates were generated.
- •Probabilities of identity and paternity exclusion were reported.
Native American population data are limited and thus impact computing accurate statistical parameters for forensic investigations. Thus, additional information should be generated from geographically representative tribes in North America, particularly from those that are not included in existing population databases for forensic use. The Globafiler® PCR Amplification kit was used to produce STR genotypic data for 533 individuals who represent 31 Native American tribal populations derived from eight geographically diverse regions in North America. Population genetic estimates from 21 autosomal STRs are reported.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Genetic and ethnohistoric evidence suggest current Native American population datasets in the FBI's CODIS database are not sufficiently representative.Forensic Sci Int Genet. 2014; 13: e13-5
- convert: a user-friendly program to reformat diploid genotypic data for commonly used population genetic software packages.Mol. Ecol. Notes. 2004; 4: 309-310
- A novel measure of genetic distance for highly polymorphic tandem repeat loci.Mol. Biol. Evol. 1995; 12: 914-920
- Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis.Evol. Bioinform. Online. 2005; 1: 47-50
- Analyzing tables of statistical tests.Evolution. 1989; 43: 223-225
- The Evaluation of Forensic DNA Evidence.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC1996
- Population studies on three Native Alaska population groups using STR loci.Forensic Sci. Int. 2002; 129: 51-57
- CODIS STR loci data from 41 sample populations.J. Forensic Sci. 2001; 46: 453-489
- The Genetic Structure of Native Americans in North America based on the Globalfiler® STRs.J. Forensic Sci. 2016; (submitted)
- Population-specific FST values for forensic STR markers: a worldwide survey.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 23: 91-100
- Publication of population data for forensic purposes.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2010; 4: 145-147
Published online: June 27, 2016
Accepted: June 20, 2016
Received in revised form: June 14, 2016
Received: March 7, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.