- •Comprehensive study of 17 X-STRs in seven Spanish populations.
- •Spanish allele and haplotype frequencies database for forensic purposes.
- •Highly discriminative tool for forensic identification and kinship testing.
The currently developed 17 X-STR panel (DXS8378, DXS9898, DXS7133, GATA31E08, GATA172D05, DXS6801, DXS7423, DXS6809, DXS6799, DXS7132, DXS9902, DXS6800, DXS6789, DXS10075, DXS10079, DXS6807, and DXS6803) offers a highly discriminative tool for forensic identification and kinship testing. With the aim of providing a global Spanish population X-STR database, we present haplotype and allele frequencies and parameters of forensic interest for the 17 X-STR panel obtained from 593 unrelated individuals from Alicante, Aragon, the Basque Country, Andalusia, Galicia, Madrid, and Barcelona that represent the most populated regions of the Spanish Peninsular territory. The seven populations were compared to test possible population genetic substructures. The lack of significant differences among the studied Spanish populations supports the use of the allele and haplotype frequency database presented herein as a global Spanish population sample useful for statistical evaluation in forensic casework. After conducting the LD plots derived from HapMap and pairwise linkage disequilibrium tests, DXS7132, DXS10075, and DXS10079 markers were included in a cluster and haplotype frequencies were calculated. The improvement in the forensic parameters for the Spanish population using 17 X-STRs in comparison to the previous 10 X-STR allele frequencies database is also shown.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Iberian allele frequency database for 10 X-STRs.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 19: 76-78
- Using X-chromosomal markers in relationship testing: calculation of likelihood ratios taking both linkage and linkage disequilibrium into account.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2011; 5: 506-511
- Haplotyping of STR cluster DXS6801-DXS6809-DXS6789 on Xq21 provides a powerful tool for kinship testing.Int. J. Legal Med. 2005; 119: 363-369
- X-chromosomal markers: past, present and future.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2007; 1: 93-99
- Results of the GEP-ISFG collaborative study on an X-STR Decaplex.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. Suppl. Ser. 2008; 1: 677-679
- A GEP- ISFG collaborative study on the optimization of an X-STR decaplex: data on 15 Iberian and Latin American populations.Int. J. Legal Med. 2009; 123: 227-234
- Genetic characterization of ten X-STRs in a population from the Spanish Levant.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: e180-e181
- Genetic diversity of 10 X-STR markers in a sample population from the region of Murcia in Spain.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. Suppl. Ser. 2011; 3: e437-e438
- Population genetic data for 10 X-STR loci in autochthonous Basques from Navarre (Spain).Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: e146-e148
- Population data for 10 X-chromosome STRs from north-east of Spain.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: e13-e15
- Mirandese language and genetic differentiation in Iberia: a study using X chromosome markers.Ann. Hum. Biol. 2015; 42: 20-25
- Genetic analysis of 12 X-chromosome STRs in Western Mediterranean populations.Int. J. Legal Med. 2015; 129: 253-255
- Development of a new highly efficient 17 X-STR multiplex for forensic purposes.Electrophoresis. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.201500546
- Allele and haplotype diversity of 26 X-STR loci in four nationality populations from China.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e65570
- Characteristics of eight X-STR loci for forensic purposes in the Chinese population.Int. J. Legal Med. 2011; 125: 127-131
- Variability of the entire mitochondrial DNA control region in a human isolate from the Pas Valley (northern Spain).J. Forensic Sci. 2010; 55: 1196-1201
- Haploview: analysis and visualization of LD and haplotype maps.Bioinformatics. 2005; 21: 263-265
- Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis.Evol. Bioinform. Online. 2005; 1: 47-50
- Past: paleontological statistics software package for education and data analysis.Palaeontol. Electron. 2001; 4: 9-17
- Development of a highly polymorphic STR marker for identity testing purposes at the human androgen receptor gene (HUMARA).J. Forensic Sci. 1998; 43: 1046-1049
- Allele and haplotype diversity of X-chromosomal STRs in Ivory Coast.Int. J. Legal Med. 2011; 125: 749-752
- Linkage and linkage disequilibrium analysis of X-STRs in Italian families.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2011; 5: 152-154
- Population data of 12 X-STR loci in a North of Portugal sample.Int. J. Legal Med. 2013; 127: 63-64
- DXS10079, DXS10074 and DXS10075 are STRs located within a 280-kb region of Xq12 and provide stable haplotypes useful for complex kinship cases.Int. J. Legal Med. 2006; 120: 337-345
- Linkage disequilibrium—understanding the evolutionary past and mapping the medical future.Nat. Rev. Genet. 2008; 9: 477-485
Published online: June 22, 2016
Accepted: June 22, 2016
Received in revised form: June 20, 2016
Received: April 22, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.