Guerrero is one of the 32 states of México. It is located in Southwestern México and bordered by the states of Michoacán to the north and west, México and Morelos to the north, Puebla to the northeast and Oaxaca to the east (Supplemental Fig. 1). Guerrero has a population of 3,079,649 people, about 17.2% of the total population of the state are indigenous people. The indigenous population is mostly located in the Montaña zone and, less in the Costa Chica, these areas being marginal zones. This population is composed of Mixtecos (na savi) (28%), Nahuas (nauatlakaj) (40%), Amuzgos (suljaá) (9%) and Tlapanecos (méphaa) (22%). There are only Amuzgo, Tlapaneco and Mixteco groups in the neighbour states of Oaxaca, Morelos and Puebla and their inhabitants speak more than 20 different native languages. Only 29% out of those who speak an indigenous language also speak Spanish.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Whatman FTA® cards using FTA Purification Reagent, http://www4.ncsu.edu/∼rgfranks/research/protocols/FTA%20cards%20protocols/BD08%20-%20Preparing%20an%20FTA%20Disc%20for%20Analysis.pdf.
- Publication of population data for forensic purposes.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2010; 4: 145-147
- The publication of population genetic data in the International Journal of Legal Medicine: guidelines.Int. J. Legal Med. 2012; 126: 489-490
- Arlequin ver 30: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis.Evol. Bioinform. Online. 2005; 1: 47-50
B.S. Weir, Disequilibrium, in: Sinauer Associates (Ed.) Genetic Data Analysis II, 2nd ed. Sunderland, USA, 1996, p. 134.
- Genetic structure of seven Mexican indigenous populations based on five polymarker loci.Am. J. Hum. Biol. 2003; 15: 23-28
- Demographic history of indigenous populations in Mesoamerica based on mtDNA sequence data.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0131791
- Admixture analysis of a rural population of the state of Guerrero, Mexico.Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 2005; 128: 861-869
- Linguistic and maternal genetic diversity are not correlated in Native Mexicans.Hum. Genet. 2009; 126: 521-531
Published online: June 26, 2016
Accepted: June 25, 2016
Received in revised form: June 20, 2016
Received: February 19, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.