- •Considerable human resource is dedicated to interpreting electropherograms in forensic biology facilities.
- •Artificial neural networks are a powerful tool that can be used to recognise patterns and classify data.
- •We demonstrate an artificial neural network trained to ‘read’ electropherograms and show it generalised to unseen profiles.
- •There is potential for the use of artificial neural networks to be extended to reading complex, mixed electrophoretic data.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
- Validating TrueAllele® DNA mixture interpretation.J. Forensic Sci. 2011; 56: 1430-1447
- The interpretation of single source and mixed DNA profiles.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2013; 7: 516-528
- A mathematical approach to the analysis of multiplex DNA profiles.Bull. Math. Biol. 2010; 73: 1909-1931
- Novel algorithms for accurate DNA base-calling.J. Biomed. Sci. Eng. 2013; 6: 165-174
V. Boža, B. Brejová, T. Vinař, Deepnano: Deep Recurrent Neural Networks for Base Calling in Minion Nanopore Reads, ArXiv: 160309195v1 [q-bioGN], 2016.
- Analysis of DNA gel electrophoresis images with backpropogation neural network based Canny edge detection algorithm.Int. J. Sci. Technol. Res. 2016; 2: 55-63
- Equal numbers of neuronal and nonneuronal cells make the human brain an isometrically scaled-up primate brain.J. Comp. Neurol. 2009; 513: 532-541
A. Trask, D. Gilmore, M. Russell, Modeling Order in Neural Word Embedding at Scale, arXiv: 150602338v3 [csCL], 2015.
D. Powers, A. Atyabi, The problem of Cross-Validation: Averaging and Bias, Repetition and Significance Engineering and Technology (S-CET), Spring congress on. 2012, IEEE, 1–5.
- Credibility: Evaluating What's Been Learned Data Mining Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques.Elsevier Inc., Burlington, USA2011 (Chapter 5)
- Gradient-based learning applied to document recognition.Proc. IEEE. 1998; 86: 2278-2344
- Deep sparse rectifier neural networks.Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS-11). 2011; : 315-323
M. Plummer, Bayesian graphical models using MCMC, 2012. rjags.
- Evaluation: from precision, recall and F-measure to ROC, informedness, markedness & correlation.J. Mach. Learn. Technol. 2011; 2: 37-63
- Evaluation evaluation a monte carlo study.European Conference on Artifical Intelligence. 2008; (ArXiv: 150400854 [csAl])