In a recent article in this journal [
] concerning an ambiguously characterized STR locus the authors write “…emphasizes an obvious need for a properly constructed framework for the genomic identification of forensic STRs.” Coincidentally, while examining the properties of some non-CODIS STRs, it transpired that the use of D15S659 could lead to unintended conclusions if what follows goes unheeded. Below all genomic positions and intervals cited are based upon genomic reference GRCh37/hg19 and all mentioned websites were accessed on 5 July 2016.
- Phillips C.
- Parson W.
- Amigo J.
- King J.L.
- Coble M.D.
- Steffen C.R.
- Vallone P.M.
- Gettings K.B.
- Butler J.M.
- Budowle B.
D5S2500 is an ambiguously characterized STR: Identification and description of forensic microsatellites in the genomics age.
Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 23: 19-24
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- D5S2500 is an ambiguously characterized STR: Identification and description of forensic microsatellites in the genomics age.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 23: 19-24
- Allele distribution at two STR loci (D15S642 and D15S659) in the Croatian population.Int. Congr. Ser. 2006; 1288: 409-411
- Genetic polymorphism of 14 non-CODIS STR loci for forensic use in southeast China population.Forensic Sci. Int. 2008; 174: 76-79
- A new multiplex assay of 17 autosomal STRs and amelogenin for forensic application.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e57471
- Allele frequency distribution of 21 forensic autosomal STR loci of Goldeneye™ DNA ID 22NC Kit in Chinese Tibetan group.Forensic Sci. Int. 2016; 22: e21-e24
- Mutational analysis of 33 autosomal short tandem repeat (STR) loci in southwest Chinese Han population based on trio parentage testing.Forensic Sci. Int. 2016; 23: 86-90
- Sequence variation of two hypervariable short tandem repeats at the D22S683 and D6S477 loci.Int. J. Leg. Med. 2000; 113: 146-149
- Genetic distribution of 39 STR loci in 1027 unrelated Han individuals from Northern China.Forensic Sci. Int. 2015; 19: 205-206
- Genetic polymorphisms of 22 autosomal STR loci in Chinese Han population.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. Suppl. Ser. 2015; 5: e45-e47
- Tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism at the human coagulation factor XIII A subunit gene (F13A1).Nucl. Acids Res. 1991; 19: 4306
Published online: August 08, 2016
Received: July 19, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.