- •A population analysis was performed on 10 urban populations of Argentina for a set of 12 autosomal STR not studied to date in the country.
- •Population comparisons were carried out observing a relative homogenous allelic frequency distribution across the country with the exception of Jujuy population.
- •Enhanced Power of Discrimination and Power of Exclusion was observed for this marker set compared the 13 STR CODIS loci.
- •The system appeared to be a useful tool to be used as a complement in complex cases.
Currently, autosomal Short Tandem Repeat (STR) markers represent the method of election in forensic human identification. Commercial kits of most common use nowadays –e.g. PowerPlex®Fusion, Promega Corp.; AmpFlSTR GlobalFiler, Thermofisher scientific; Investigator 24Plex QS,Qiagen-, allow the co-amplification of 23 highly polymorphic STR loci providing a high discrimination power in human identity testing. However, in complex kinship analysis and familial database searches involving distant relationships, additional DNA typing is often required in order to achieve well-founded conclusions. The recently developed kit Investigator® HDplex (Qiagen) co-amplify twelve autosomal STRs markers (D7S1517, D3S1744, D12S391, D2S1360, D6S474, D4S2366, D8S1132, D5S2500, D18S51, D21S2055, D10S2325, SE33), nine of which are not present in the above mentioned kits, providing a set of efficient supplementary markers for human identification purposes. In this study we genotyped a sample of 980 individuals from urban areas of ten Argentinean provinces using the Investigator® HDplex kit, aiming to provide forensic estimates for use in forensic casework and parentage testing in Argentina. We report reference allelic frequency databases for each of the provinces studied as well as for the combined samples. No deviation of Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium was observed. A reasonable discrimination capacity and power of exclusion was estimated which allowed predicting an acceptable forensic behavior of this kit, either to be used as the main STR panel for simple cases or as an auxiliary tool in complex cases. Additionally, population comparison tests showed that the studied samples are relatively homogeneous across the country for these STR set.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The national DNA database.Forensic Sci. Int. 1997; 88: 33-42
- The FBI’s national DNA database.Nat. Biotechnol. 1998; 16: 987
The Spanish and Portuguese Speaking Working Group of the International Society for Forensic Genetics (GHEP-ISFG) Proficiency test. www.ghep-isfg.org.
German DNA Profiling (GEDNAP). www.gednap.org.
- Forensic population data for 20 STR loci in Argentina.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 13: e20-e21
- Analysis of 17 STR loci in different provinces of Argentina.Forensic Sci. Int. 2009; 3: e93-e95
- Genetic data from Powerplex® 16 system and identifiler™ kits from buenos aires province (Argentina).Legal Med. 2007; 9: 151-153
- Inferring continental ancestry of argentineans from autosomal, Y-chromosomal and mitochondrial DNA.Ann. Hum. Genet. 2010; 74: 65-76
- Population genetic analysis of 15 autosomal STRs loci in the central region of Argentina.Forencis Sci. Int. 2006; 161: 72-77
- Genetic attributes of 15 autosomal STRs in the population of two patagonian provinces of Argentina.Forensic Sci. Int. 2006; 160: 84-88
- Genetic data on 11 STRs (CSF1PO, TPOX, TH01, F13A01, FESFPS, vWA, D16S539, D7S820, D13S317, F13B, LPL) in an Argentine northeast population.Forensic Sci. Int. 2003; 133: 254-255
- STRs data for the loci D3S1385, vWA, FGA, D8S1179, D21S11, D18S51, D5S818, D13S317 and D7S820 from Cordoba (Argentina).Forensic Sci. Int. 2003; 131: 214-217
- Selection and implementation of expanded CODIS core loci in the United States.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 17: 33-34
- The evolution of DNA databases-Recommendations for new European STR loci.Forensic Sci. Int. 2006; 156: 242-244
- Analysis of investigator HDplex markers in Swedish and Somali populations.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2013; 7: e21-e22
- Global population variability in qiagen Investigator® HDplex STRs.Forensic Sci. Int. 2014; 8: 36-43
- DNA extraction strategies for amplified fragment length polymorphism analysis.J. Foresic Sci. 1994; 39: 1254-1269
- Chelex 100 as a medium for simple extraction of DNA for PCR-based typing from forensic material.Biotechniques. 1991; 10: 506-513
- A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cells.Nucleic Acids Res. 1988; 16: 1215
- PowerMarker: an integrated analysis environment for genetic marker analysis.Bioinformatics. 2005; 21: 2128-2129
- Arlequin suite ver 3.5: A new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows.Mol. Ecol. Resour. 2010; 10: 564-567
Addinsoft (2007). XLStat —Statistical software for MS Excel. URL: www.xlstat.com.
- The recombination landscape around forensic STRs: accurate measurement of genetic distances between syntenic STR pairs using HapMap high density SNP data.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: 354-365
- The Evaluation of Forensic DNA Evidence.National Academy Press, Washington DC1996
- Genetic attributes of the YHRD minimal haplotype in 10 provinces of Argentina.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2007; 1: 129-133
- A comprehensive Y-STR portrait of Argentinean populations.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 20: 1-5
- An evaluation of potential allelic association between the STRs vWA and D12S391: Implications in criminal casework and applications to short pedigrees.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: 477-486
- Testing for genetic structure in different urban Argentinian populations.Forensic Sci. Int. 2007; 165: 35-40
- Frequency data for 12 mini STR loci in Argentina.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2010; 4: e79-e81
- Inferring genetic sub-structure in the population of Argentina using fifteen microsatellite loci.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. Suppl. Ser. 2008; 1: 350-352
- Allele frequencies and statistical parameters for Penta E and Penta D STR loci in Córdoba (Argentina) population.J. Forensic Sci. 2004; 49: 407-408
Published online: October 18, 2016
Accepted: October 17, 2016
Received in revised form: September 13, 2016
Received: June 8, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.