Recently, Prescuittini and Egeland [
] have challenged recommendation 5 of the ISFG DNA Commission on mixture interpretation [
- Presciuttini S.
- Egeland T.
About the number of contributors to a forensic sample.
Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016;
] which states:
- Gill P.
- Brenner C.H.
- Buckleton J.S.
- Carracedo A.
- Krawczak M.
- Mayr W.R.
- Morling N.
- Prinz M.
- Schneider P.M.
- Weir B.S.
DNA commission of the international society of forensic genetics: recommendations on the interpretation of mixtures.
Forensic Sci. Int. 2006; 160: 90-101
“There is a common misconception that the numbers of contributors under Hp and Hd should be the same. There is no requirement for this”
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- About the number of contributors to a forensic sample.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016;
- DNA commission of the international society of forensic genetics: recommendations on the interpretation of mixtures.Forensic Sci. Int. 2006; 160: 90-101
- DNA commission of the international society of forensic genetics: recommendations on the evaluation of STR typing results that may include drop-out and/or drop-in using probabilistic methods.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: 679-688
- Interpreting DNA mixtures.J. Forensic Sci. 1997; 42: 213-222
- Forensic DNA Evidence Interpretation.CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL2005
- A comparative study of qualitative and quantitative models used to interpret complex STR DNA profiles.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 25: 85-96
- Analysis and interpretation of mixed forensic stains using DNA STR profiling.Forensic Sci. Int. 1998; 91: 55-70
- Estimating the number of contributors to forensic DNA mixtures: does maximum likelihood perform better than maximum allele count?.J. Forensic Sci. 2011; 56: 23-28
- Recommendations of the DNA commission of the international society for forensic genetics (ISFG) on quality control of autosomal short tandem repeat allele frequency databasing (STRidER).Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 24: 97-102
- EuroForMix: an open source software based on a continuous model to evaluate STR DNA profiles from a mixture of contributors with artefacts.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 21: 35-44
- Towards understanding the effect of uncertainty in the number of contributors to DNA stains.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2007; 1: 20-28
- LoComatioN: a software tool for the analysis of low copy number DNA profiles.Forensic Sci. Int. 2006; 166: 128-138
Published online: November 02, 2016
Received: September 30, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.