Technological progress made it possible to obtain increasing amounts of forensic genetic information from increasingly challenging samples. The current capillary electrophoresis (CE) based megaplexes offer 23 autosomal Short Tandem Repeats (STRs) supplemented with additional Y-STRs [
- Ensenberger M.G.
- et al.
Developmental validation of the PowerPlex® Fusion 6C system.
Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 21: 134-144
2]. Massively Parallel Sequencing (MPS) based assays enable the simultaneous analysis of more than 200 loci. Profiles from degraded, low template samples can show a number of allelic drop-outs (DOs) which tends to increase with an increased number of analyzed loci. Calculating the evidential value of such profiles is challenging.
- Wang D.Y.
- et al.
Developmental validation of the GlobalFiler(®) Express PCR Amplification Kit: a 6-dye multiplex assay for the direct amplification of reference samples.
Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 19: 148-155
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Developmental validation of the PowerPlex® Fusion 6C system.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 21: 134-144
- Developmental validation of the GlobalFiler(®) Express PCR Amplification Kit: a 6-dye multiplex assay for the direct amplification of reference samples.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 19: 148-155
- Impact of allelic dropout on evidential value of forensic DNA profiles using RMNE.Bioinformatics. 2009; 25: 225-229
- Effect of multiple allelic drop-outs in forensic RMNE calculations.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 19: 243-249
- Interpreting low template DNA profiles.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2009; 4: 1-10
- Estimating drop-out probabilities in forensic DNA samples: a simulation approach to evaluate different models.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2011; 5: 525-531
- Does an English appeal court ruling increase the risks of miscarriages of justice when complex DNA profiles are searched against the national DNA database?.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2014; 13: 167-175
- Inclusion probability with dropout: an operational formula.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 16: 71-76
- Allele frequencies for the new European Standard Set (ESS) loci and D1S1677 in the Belgian population.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: e75-e77
- Population genetic study of four short tandem repeat loci in the Belgian population, using capillary electrophoresis.Electrophoresis. 1998; 19: 719-722
Published online: November 08, 2016
Received: October 4, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.