- •Putative genetic analysis steps taken to identify suspect in Golden State Killer investigation discussed.
- •Initial and limited use of citizen science community-led genetic databases for criminal investigations reviewed.
- •Limitations of the reliability of such tests to identify members of distant kinships are assessed in the light of previous suspect hits and misses.
- •The contrasts between investigative intelligence and normal forensic identification through DNA profiling are highlighted.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
Phoenix Canal Killer genealogical analysis: https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2016/11/30/how-forensic-genealogy-led-arrest-phoenix-canal-killer-case-bryan-patrick-miller-dna/94565410/.
25th ISHI discussions on Y-STR lineage analysis: https://www.ishinews.com/solving-the-phoenix-canal-murders/.
Growth and development of GEDmatch: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/06/gedmatch-police-genealogy-database/561695/.
GSKI misdirection in 2017 using Y-STRs to an unrelated man in Oregon and subsequent success with a high density SNP set: https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/family-tree-dna-subpoena-golden-state-killer.
The misidentification of Michael Usry Jr. in the Angie Dodge murder investigation: http://www.postregister.com/articles/chris-tapp-coverage-featured-news-daily-email/2017/07/29/contradictory-dna-results-put.
- Identifying personal genomes by surname inference.Science. 2013; 339: 321-324
Initial development of genetic genealogy: http://jogg.info/pages/vol8/editorial/moore/moore-history.html.
- Cryptic distant relatives are common in both isolated and cosmopolitan genetic samples.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e34267
‘Cruwys news’, the blog of genetic genealogist Debbie Kennett: https://cruwys.blogspot.com ‘Your Genetic Genealogist’ the blog of genetic genealogist CeCe Moore: http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/ ‘DNAeXplained’, the blog of genetic genealogist Roberta Estes: https://dna-explained.com.
Identification of murder victim “Buckskin Girl”, Marcia King: http://cases.dnadoeproject.org/mesmerize/buckskin-girl/.
Identification of murder suspect William Earl Talbott: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/05/21/a-genealogy-website-used-to-crack-another-cold-case-police-say-this-one-a-1987-double-homicide/?utm_term=.2ae49615aa.
Storage and use of a duplicate rape kit in the GSKI: https://abcnews.go.com/US/inside-terrifying-golden-state-killer-crime-spree-key/story?id=54849196.
Swedish police consider accessing Swedish DTC data: https://www.thelocal.se/20180507/swedish-police-mull-using-dna-family-tree-websites.
E. Bruenisholz, A. Ross, S. Prakash, C.P. Roux, M. Morelato, T. Raymond, S. Walsh, T. O’Maley, The Intelligent Use of Forensic Data, Researchgate PDF at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/286930641_The_Intelligent_Use_of_Forensic_Data.
Genealogical analysis proposed for Zodiac Killer DNA: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/zodiac-killer-golden-state-investigation-dna-tests-california-vallejo-sacramento-a8343086.html.