- •We report the distribution of the number of contributors conditioned on context.
- •Conditioning on an assumed contributor can shift the distribution to a larger n.
- •The degree of change depends on whether the assumed contributor is major or minor.
- •Computing a LR treating the NOC as a nuisance variable requires consistent context.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
- Uncertainty in the number of contributors in the proposed new CODIS set.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 19: 207-211
- Estimation of the number of contributors of theoretical mixture profiles based on allele counting: does increasing the number of loci increase success rate of estimates?.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2018; 33: 24-32
- Determining the number of contributors to DNA mixtures in the low-template regime: exploring the impacts of sampling and detection effects.Leg. Med. 2018; 32: 1-8
- Maximizing allele detection: effects of analytical threshold and DNA levels on rates of allele and locus drop-out.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: 723-728
- A large-scale dataset of single and mixed-source short tandem repeat profiles to inform human identification strategies: PROVEDIt.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2018; 32: 62-70
- Determination of the possible number of genotypes which can contribute to DNA mixtures: non-computer assisted deconvolution should not be attempted for greater than two person mixtures.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2018; 37: 235-240
- Letter to the editor— context management toolbox: A Linear Sequential Unmasking (LSU) approach for minimizing cognitive bias in forensic decision making.J. Forensic Sci. 2015; 60: 1111-1112
- Exploring STR signal in the single- and multicopy number regimes: deductions from an in silico model of the entire DNA laboratory process.Electrophoresis. 2016;
- A unifying framework for the modelling and analysis of STR DNA samples arising in forensic casework.arXiv Appl. 2018;
- Computation of marginal distributions of peak-heights in electropherograms for analysing single source and mixture STR DNA samples.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2018; 35: 164-168
- A large-scale validation of NOCIt’s a posteriori probability of the number of contributors and its integration into forensic interpretation pipelines.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2020; 47102296
- Estimating the number of contributors to a DNA profile using decision trees.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2021; 50102407
- Inferring the number of contributors to complex DNA mixtures using three methods: exploring the limits of low-template DNA interpretation," (in English).J. Forensic Sci. Artic. 2017; 62: 308-316
- Contributors are a nuisance (parameter) for DNA mixture evidence evaluation.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2018; 37: 116-125
- Four model variants within a continuous forensic DNA mixture interpretation framework: effects on evidential inference and reporting.PLoS One. 2018; 130207599
- Production of high-fidelity electropherograms results in improved and consistent DNA interpretation: standardizing the forensic validation process.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2017; 31: 160-170
- On a measure of divergence between two statistical populations defined by their probability distributions.Bull. Calcutta Math. Soc. 1943; 35: 99-109
ThermoFisher, "GlobalFiler™ PCR Amplification Kit User Guide," ed, 2016.
- Introduction to Probability.Athena Scientific, 2008
- An epistemic interpretation of the posterior likelihood ratio distribution.Law Probab. Risk. 2020; 19: 139-155
- Is it to the advantage of a defendant to infer a greater number of contributors to a questioned sample than is necessary to explain the observed DNA profile?.Sci. Justice. 2014; 54: 373-374
- Development and validation of open-source software for DNA mixture interpretation based on a quantitative continuous model.PLoS One. 2017; 120188183
C. Brenner, "How to Decide How Many Contributors in a Mixture," presented at the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, Baltimore, MD, 2019.
- Automated estimation of the number of contributors in autosomal short tandem repeat profiles using a machine learning approach.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2019; 43102150
- Developmental validation of PACETM: automated artifact identification and contributor estimation for use with GlobalFilerTM and PowerPlex® fusion 6c generated data.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2019; 43102140
- NOCIt: a computational method to infer the number of contributors to DNA samples analyzed by STR genotyping.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 16: 172-180
- Estimating the number of contributors to a DNA profile.Int. J. Leg. Med. 2003; 117: 271-275
- Estimating the number of contributors to DNA mixtures provides a novel tool for ecology.Methods Ecol. Evol. 2019; 10: 109-119
- STRmix; collaborative exercise on DNA mixture interpretation.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2019; 40: 1-8
E.R. Roman E. Aranda, K. Mereus, P. Spenser, R. Tontarsk, "DNA Mixture Interpretation Study: Inter- and Intra-laboratory Variation," in International Symposium on forensic Science Error Management, Gaithersburg, MD, 2015.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Corrigendum to “The a posteriori probability of the number of contributors when conditioned on an assumed contributor” [Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 54 (2021) 102563]Forensic Science International: GeneticsVol. 58