- •Investigated transfer and persistence of DNA onto capsules in two scenarios.
- •Mimicked ecstasy preparation with single handlers and encapsulator (semi-realistic).
- •Mimicked ecstasy preparation involving two handlers (realistic).
- •One or both individuals were detected in 65% of realistic samples.
- •The last person to handle the capsule was not always major contributor.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
World Customs Organization, Illicit Trade Report 2019, (2020).
European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, European Drug Report 2021: Trends and Developments, Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg, 2021.
United Nations, World Drug Report 2021, United Nations publication, 2021.
Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission, Illicit Drug Data Report 2019–20, (2021).
R. Sutherland, Karlsson, A., Price, O., Uporova, J., Chandrasena, U., Swanton, G.R. D., Bruno, R., Dietze, P., Lenton, S., Salom, C., Grigg, J., Wilson, Y., Eddy, S., Hall, C., C. Daly, Thomas, N., Juckel, J., Degenhardt, L., Farrell, M. & Peacock, A., Australian Drug Trends 2021: Key Findings from the National Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS) Interviews, Sydney: National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, UNSW Sydney, 2021.
Personal communication, the Australian Federal Police, 2022.
European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, Recent changes in Europe’s MDMA/ecstasy market, EMCDDA Rapid Communication (2016).
- How much crime is drug or alcohol related? Self-reported attributions of police detainees.Trends Issues Crime. Crim. Justice. 2012; 439: 1-6
M. Collins, Illicit drug profiling: A historical perspective, Drug Testing and Analysis (2021).
- Adulterants and diluents in heroin, amphetamine, and cocaine found on the illicit drug market in Aarhus, Denmark.Open Forensic Sci. J. 2009; 2: 16-20
- An analysis of the success rate of 908 trace DNA samples submitted to the Crime Sample Database Unit in New Zealand, Australian.J. Forensic Sci. 2008; 40: 49-53
- DNA profiling success rates of commonly submitted crime scene items.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. Suppl. Ser. 2019; 7: 597-599
- Knowledge on DNA success rates to optimize the DNA analysis process: from crime scene to laboratory.J. Forensic Sci. 2016; 61: 1055-1061
- Variation in forensic DNA profiling success among sampled items and collection methods: a Queensland perspective, Australian.J. Forensic Sci. 2020; : 1-14
- DNA transfer in forensic science: a review.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2019; 38: 140-166
- DNA deposited in whole thumbprints: a reproducibility study.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2022; 102683
- Transfer and persistence of DNA on the hands and the influence of activities performed.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2017; 28: 10-20
- Oorschot, Shedder status—an analysis of self and non-self DNA in multiple handprints deposited by the same individuals over time, Forensic Science.Int. Genet. 2016; 23: 190-196
- The propensity of individuals to deposit DNA and secondary transfer of low level DNA from individuals to inert surfaces.Forensic Sci. Int. 2002; 129: 25-34
- Secondary and subsequent DNA transfer during criminal investigation.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 17: 155-162
M. Rolo, L. Sampaio, F. Balsa, A.M. Bento, N. Gouveia, A. Serra, P. Brito, V. Lopes, M. São-Bento, V. Bogas, P. Cunha, M.J. Porto, M.J. Carneiro de Sousa, Assessment of individual shedder status and background DNA on objects: Direct or indirect transfer?, Forensic Science International: Genetics Supplement Series (2019).
- Shedder status: Exploring means of determination.Sci. Justice. 2021;
- Shedding light on shedders.Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. 2018; 36: 20-25
- Comparing multiple POI to DNA mixtures.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2021; 52102481
- The comparison of DNA mixture profiles with multiple persons of interest.Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. 2022; 56102592
- The interpretation of single source and mixed DNA profiles, Forensic Science.Int. Genet. 2013; 7: 516-528
- The effect of a user selected number of contributors within the LR assignment, Australian.J. Forensic Sci. 2021; : 1-14
- Internal validation of STRmixTM for the interpretation of single source and mixed DNA profiles, Forensic Science.Int. Genet. 2017; 29: 126-144
- Performance of a method for weighting a range in the number of contributors in probabilistic genotyping.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2020; 48102352
- Persistence of DNA deposited by the original user on objects after subsequent use by a second person, Forensic Science.Int. Genet. 2014; 8: 219-225
- Shedding light on the relative DNA contribution of two persons handling the same object.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 24: 148-157
Australian Border Force, Tablet Presses and Encapsulators - Amendments to the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956, 2020.
- DNA on drugs! A preliminary investigation of DNA deposition during the handling of illicit drug capsules.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2021; 54102559
The Capsule Guy, CapmQuik Capsule filler machine with Tamper. https://gelcapsules.com.au/collections/frontpage/products/cap-m-quik?variant=7207674372, 2019).
D. Teschner, How-To-Use The CAP-M-QUIK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0tnZQjpucU&ab_channel=DerekTeschner, 2014).
- An introductory guide to evaluative reporting in forensic science, Australian.J. Forensic Sci. 51(sup1). 2019; : S247-S251