- •Bone DNA samples from 80 skeletal remains were analysed using double qPCR and STR-typing.
- •Authors suggest to use at least two measurements of DNA concentration with kits with different primer variants.
- •Results may suggest a higher degradation rate of Y-chromosome comparing to autosomal DNA in some of the bone samples studied.
- •We strongly suggest that at least one of two qPCR should be based on an additional determination of the Y chromosome DI.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
- A performance study on three qPCR quantification kits and their compatibilities with the 6-dye DNA profiling systems.Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. 2018; 33: 72-83https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2017.11.016
- Optimizing DNA recovery and forensic typing of degraded blood and dental remains using a specialized extraction method, comprehensive qPCR sample characterization, and massively parallel sequencing.Int. J. Leg. Med. 2020; 134: 79-91https://doi.org/10.1007/s00414-019-02124-y
- Quantifiler® Trio Kit and forensic samples management: a matter of degradation.Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. 2015; 16: 77-85https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2014.12.005
- Prediction of autosomal STR typing success in ancient and Second World War bone samples.Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. 2017; 27: 17-26https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2016.11.004
- Factors affecting the STR amplification success in poorly preserved bone samples.Invest. Genet. 2010; 1: 9https://doi.org/10.1186/2041-2223-1-9
- Automatable full demineralization DNA extraction procedure from degraded skeletal remains.Forensic Sci. Int Genet. 2012; 6: 398-406https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2011.08.004
- DNA Commission of the International Society for Forensic Genetics: guidelines for mitochondrial DNA typing.Forensic Sci. Int. 2000; 110: 79-85https://doi.org/10.1016/s0379-0738(00)00161-4
- Isolating the human cochlea to generate bone powder for ancient DNA analysis.Nat. Protoc. 2019; 14: 1194-1205https://doi.org/10.1038/s41596-019-0137-7
- Development and validation of the Investigator® Quantiplex® Pro Kit for qPCR-based examination of the quantity and quality of human DNA in forensic samples.Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. Suppl. Ser. 2017; 6: e518-e519https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigss.2017.09.207
- Developmental validation of the Yfiler® Plus PCR Amplification Kit: An enhanced Y-STR multiplex for casework and database applications.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 24: 164-175https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2016.07.006
- Initial experience in the application of the PowerQuantTM system and the Investigator® ESSplex SE QS kit for aDNA analysis.Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. Suppl. Ser. 2015; 5: e420-e421https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigss.2015.09.167
- QuantifilerTM Trio Kit and forensic samples management: a matter of degradation.Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. 2015; 16: 77-85https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2014.12.005
- Forensic implications of genetic analyses from degraded DNA—a review.Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. 2010; 4: 148-157https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2009.09.007
- Instability and decay of the primary structure of DNA.Nature. 1993; 362: 709-715https://doi.org/10.1038/362709a
- Length‐dependent DNA degradation kinetic model: Decay compensation in DNA tracer concentration measurements.AIChE J. 2019; 65: 40-48https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.16433
- Dynamics of extracellular DNA decomposition and bacterial community composition in soil.Soil Biol. Biochem. 2015; 86: 42-49https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2015.03.020
- Stochastic sampling effects in STR typing: implications for analysis and interpretation.Forensic Sci. Int.: Genet. 2014; 11: 195-204https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2014.03.015
- PENDULUM—a guidelinebased approach to the interpretation of STR mixtures.Forensic Sci. Int. 2005; 148: 181-189https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2004.06.037
- Degradation of forensic DNA profiles.Aust. J. Forensic Sci. 2013; 45: 445-449https://doi.org/10.1080/00450618.2013.772235
- The application of magnetic bead hybridization for the recovery and STR amplification of degraded and inhibited forensic DNA.Electrophoresis. 2011; 32: 1631-1638https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.201000694
- Dual amplification strategy for improved efficiency of forensic DNA analysis using NGM DetectTM, NGMTM or GlobalfilerTM kits.Forensic Sci. Int. 2018; 35: 46-49https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2018.03.018
- Punctuated bursts in human male demography inferred from 1,244 worldwide Y-chromosome sequences.Nat. Genet. 2016; 48: 593-599https://doi.org/10.1038/ng.3559
- The male-specific region of the human Y chromosome is a mosaic of discrete sequence classes.Nature. 2003; 423: 825-837https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01722
- The study of human Y chromosome variation through ancient DNA.Hum. Genet. 2017; 136: 529-546https://doi.org/10.1007/s00439-017-1773-z