- •We established a multiplex PCDR system containing 24 STRs.
- •The complete STR profile in the PCDR product was illustrated by MPS.
- •Characteristics of STR amplification in the PCDR context were studied in detail.
- •The opposite impact of PCDR on contraction and elongation stutters were revealed.
- •PCDR was feasible for challenging degraded DNA and DNA mixtures detection.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Forensic Science International: Genetics
- PCR in forensic genetics.Biochem. Soc. Trans. 2009; 37: 438-440https://doi.org/10.1042/BST0370438
- An investigation of the rigor of interpretation rules for STRs derived from less than 100 pg of DNA.Forensic Sci. Int. 2000; 112: 17-40https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-0738(00)00158-4
- Polymerase chain displacement reaction.Biotechniques. 2013; 54: 93-97https://doi.org/10.2144/000113951
- A strong strand displacement activity of thermostable DNA polymerase markedly improves the results of DNA amplification.Biotechniques. 2014; 57: 81-87https://doi.org/10.2144/000114198
- A proof-of-principle study on implementing polymerase chain displacement reaction (PCDR) to improve forensic low-template DNA analysis.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2022; 56https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2021.102609
- Massive parallel sequencing in forensics: advantages, issues, technicalities, and prospects.Int. J. Leg. Med. 2020; 134: 1291-1303https://doi.org/10.1007/s00414-020-02294-0
- Massively parallel sequencing of 25 autosomal STRs including SE33 in four population groups for forensic applications.Sci. Rep. 2021; 11: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-82814-z
- Characterization of genetic sequence variation of 58 STR loci in four major population groups.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 25: 214-226https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2016.09.007
- Characterizing stutter variants in forensic STRs with massively parallel sequencing.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2020; 45102225https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2019.102225
- Compound stutter in D2S1338 and D12S391.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2019; 39: 50-56https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2018.12.001
- Sex identification by polymerase chain reaction using X-Y homologous primer.Am. J. Med. Genet. 1991; 39: 472-473https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.1320390420
I.F. Bronner, M.A. Quail, D.J. Turner, H. Swerdlow, Improved protocols for Illumina sequencing, 2013. 〈https://doi.org/10.1002/0471142905.hg1802s79〉.
- Fastp: an ultra-fast all-in-one FASTQ preprocessor.in: Bioinformatics. Oxford University Press, 2018: i884-i890https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/bty560
- Massively parallel sequencing of short tandem repeats – population data and mixture analysis results for the PowerSeq™ system.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 24: 86-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2016.05.016
- SeqKit: a cross-platform and ultrafast toolkit for FASTA/Q file manipulation.PLoS One. 2016; 11https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0163962
- FDSTools: a software package for analysis of massively parallel sequencing data with the ability to recognise and correct STR stutter and other PCR or sequencing noise.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2017; 27: 27-40https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2016.11.007
- STRNaming: generating simple, informative names for sequenced STR alleles in a standardised and automated manner.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2021; 52102473https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2021.102473
R Core Team, R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing, 2020. 〈https://www.r-project.org/〉.
- Enhanced low-template DNA analysis conditions and investigation of allele dropout patterns.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 14: 61-75https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2014.09.008
- Utility of amplification enhancers in low copy number DNA analysis.Int. J. Leg. Med. 2015; 129: 43-52https://doi.org/10.1007/s00414-014-1021-1
- Comprehensive human genome amplification using multiple displacement amplification.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2002; 99: 5261-5266https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.082089499
- Comparison of CE- and MPS-based analyses of forensic markers in a single cell after whole genome amplification.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2020; 45https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2019.102211
- Single-cell whole-genome analyses by Linear Amplification via Transposon Insertion (LIANTI).Science. 1979; 356: 189-194https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aak9787
- TruePrime is a novel method for whole-genome amplification from single cells based on TthPrimPol.Nat. Commun. 2016; 7https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms13296
- A graphical simulation model of the entire DNA process associated with the analysis of short tandem repeat loci.Nucleic Acids Res. 2005; 33: 632-643https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gki205
- Amplification-free Illumina sequencing-library preparation facilitates improved mapping and assembly of (G + C)-biased genomes.Nat. Methods. 2009; 6: 291-295https://doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.1311
- Understanding the characteristics of sequence-based single-source DNA profiles.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2020; 44102192https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2019.102192
- Statistical modelling of ion PGM HID STR 10-plex MPS data.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2017; 28: 82-89https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2017.01.017
- Modelling allelic drop-outs in STR sequencing data generated by MPS.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2018; 37: 6-12https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2018.07.017
- Slippage synthesis of simple sequence DNA.Nucleic Acids Res. 1992; 20: 211-215https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/20.2.211
- Validation and development of interpretation guidelines for low copy number (LCN) DNA profiling in New Zealand using the AmpFlSTR® SGM Plus™ multiplex.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2010; 4: 305-310https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2009.11.003
- Second-generation sequencing of forensic STRs using the Ion Torrent™ HID STR 10-plex and the Ion PGM™.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2015; 14: 132-140https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2014.09.020
- A stochastic model of the processes in PCR based amplification of STR DNA in forensic applications.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: 17-25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2011.01.003
- MPSproto: an extension of EuroForMix to evaluate MPS-STR mixtures.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2022; 61https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2022.102781
- A new “miniSTR-multiplex” displaying reduced amplicon lengths for the analysis of degraded DNA.Int. J. Leg. Med. 2006; 120: 115-120https://doi.org/10.1007/s00414-005-0013-6
- Single nucleotide polymorphism genotyping by mini-primer allele-specific amplification with universal reporter primers for identification of degraded DNA.Anal. Biochem. 2009; 386: 85-90https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ab.2008.11.023
- Performance of a massive parallel sequencing microhaplotypes assay on degraded DNA.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. Suppl. Ser. 2019; 7: 782-783https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigss.2019.10.176
- Massively parallel sequencing of 17 commonly used forensic autosomal STRs and amelogenin with small amplicons.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 22: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2016.01.001
- Improved STR analysis of degraded DNA from human skeletal remains through in-house MPS-STR panel.Electrophoresis. 2020; 41: 1600-1605https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.202000070
- Is MPS always the answer? Use of two PCR-based methods for Y-chromosomal haplotyping in highly and moderately degraded bone material.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2019; 42: 181-189https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2019.07.016
- A comparative study of qualitative and quantitative models used to interpret complex STR DNA profiles.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2016; 25: 85-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2016.07.016
- A top-down approach to DNA mixtures.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2020; 46102250https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2020.102250
- Comparison of different interpretation strategies for low template DNA mixtures.Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 2012; 6: 716-722https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsigen.2012.06.006
- Preferential PCR amplification of alleles: mechanisms and solutions.Genome Res. 1992; 1: 241-250https://doi.org/10.1101/gr.1.4.241
- Decreasing amplification bias associated with multiple displacement amplification and short tandem repeat genotyping.Anal. Biochem. 2007; 368: 222-229https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ab.2007.05.017
- Strategy for controlling preferential amplification and avoiding false negatives in PCR typing.Biotechniques. 1996; 21: 1102-1108https://doi.org/10.2144/96216rr03